Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow...

Ira Stanphill wrote these wonderful words about our great big wonderful God:

I don't know about tomorrow, I just live from day to day
I don't borrow from its sunshine, For its skies may turn to gray
I don't worry o'er the future, For I know what Jesus said
And today I'll walk beside Him, For He knows what is ahead.

Many things about tomorrow, I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow, And I know who holds my hand.
As I read (and sang!) these words, I got to thinking - yes, I do that from time to time! - about God, and about things that often go wrong, and about things that often go right, and... well, a bunch of things!  Everything about life is different from day to day - even from moment to moment - but one thing always remains the same - GOD!

Read:  Hebrews 13: 1-8

Verse 8 is such a blessing:
Jesus is the same - yesterday, today, and forever.

In other words, Jesus is constant - He never changes - He is always there.  We don't need to worry about today - or tomorrow - because Jesus is there with us - today AND tomorrow AND always!  Earlier in the book of Hebrews (1:12) we read:

You [Jesus] are always the same.

We will change - change is inevitable - but Jesus never changes.  He is always the same loving, caring, concerned, compassionate Jesus He always has been, always is, and always will be.  And because He is the same, we don't have to worry about Him not being there in our lives when things do change - and they will.  Ask yourself:

  • Have I ever doubted God's presence, or His ability, in the past?  In the present?
  • Do I ever think God might not be able to help me out in the future?  If so, why?
  • How might I be able to better trust God and His presence in my life?

Sometimes we worry; okay, OFTEN we worry - but we don't NEED to...  Jesus is there - always has been, always will be - and He is the constant in our ever-changing lives.  So next time you feel alone, or doubt God for anything, or just wonder why, think about this Bible passage, as well as these words from Ira Stanphill:

I don't know about tomorrow, It may bring me poverty
But the one who feeds the sparrow, Is the one who stands by me
And the path that be my portion, May be through the flame or flood
But His presence goes before me, And I'm covered with His blood.
No Jesus, know fear
Know Jesus, no fear!

PRAYER
God, thank you for the assurance of your presence with me always, of your love for me always, and for your protection over me always. 
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment