Thursday, October 25, 2012

Grace-Space

I recently read a book called "UnLearning Church" - quite the read!  I was struck by one comment made in the book, where it referred to what I think all churches should be:
Communities of grace-space.
In John 15:7 (The Message), we see where Jesus said:
Make yourselves at home in my love.
I read these two short comments and thought to myself: "Self, isn't this what church is supposed to be anyhow?"  Seriously, isn't it?  If we make ourselves at home in the love that Jesus has for everyone, then we are at home in the very best environment we can be in, don'tcha think! 

Church is a safe place, or at least ought to be - a place where we can work on the stuff we need to work on, in order to be the people that Jesus wants us to be.  Sounds like a lot, but really it's just stuff - working on our stuff.  And isn't that what grace is all about?  What's grace, you say?  Well, it's God's unmerited favour - it's what God gives to us, even though we may not (read: don't!) deserve  it.  Even though we have done, and maybe even do, things wrong.  Even though we may still do things wrong.  It's a learning process, this journey we call the Christian life - living life with Jesus as our guide.  And in this process, there's God, giving us something that allows us to keep on keeping on despite how we might feel about how we are, or what we've done, or... well, anything!  And churches... well, they ought to be filled with people who have been given grace by God, and so they just can't wait to give it to others!  Hence the name 'grace-space'.  I love it - a place, a space, where we know grace.  Church.  Grace-space.  Oh yea, I'm seeing the same place, aren't you!

Now I'm not naive enough to think all churches have "perfected" being grace-spaces, but I am also not naive enough to think that all churches cannot be grace-spaces.  They can.  They should.  And, God willing, they will.  Because there's a whole world full of hurting people "out there" who need to know God, and to experience His grace - and they need to see it in us and through us.  Right?  Right! 
  • Have you experienced your church being a grace-space?
  • How have you been able to contribute to your church being a grace-space?
I love the church - the people, the experience, everything.  And I love the fact that church is, or can be, a community of grace-space.  I love that people can come in and make themselves at home in God's love - I mean, how great is that! 

PRAYER

Thank you, God, for giving us the gift of your grace.  Thank you for giving us places where we are able to go to experience your grace - those "grace-spaces" full of people who know you as Lord and Saviour.  Help us to always be vessels of grace for you.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment