Friday, June 22, 2012

Well, this is it.  This is the first day of the rest of... well, this blog.  I can see you're wondering what I am talking about, so let me tell you.  Today, I start a regular, daily devotional, on this blog site.  A devotional?  Yes, this is where it will be... every day... 7/365... You see, sometimes our world gets just a bit busy (a LOT busy?), and we find we don't have time to read the Bible, pray, ponder the mysteries of life... er, the Bible, etc.  Because of this, we miss out on an amazing time - time spent reading about God and what He does, who He is - time spent seeing how the Bible really does relate to our everyday lives - time spent talking to God and listening to God (that is, praying!).  This amazing time is when we get energized, when we get re-NEW-ed, when we get... well, our perspective for the day.  So this is it.  This is the opportunity for you to take advantage of a wonderful opportunity to spend time with God every single day, to hear from Him, talk to Him, consider all sorts of things about Him.  Imagine - you get to do this, and you get to do this every day!  Anyone considering belting out "The Hallelujah Chorus"?  Okay, perhaps we needn't go that far, but what we might want to do is this - take the time to read, to pray, to think, to love, to... well, whatever comes to mind, whatever happens, when you get alone with God, with this blog, and with yourself.  This is it.  And it might sound radical, or it might not - that's up to you.  Either way, give it a try - you might just like it.  And you might just get to know God a bit more.  And you just might find this whole thing isn't as... well, bad/different/confusing/weird as you might have once thought!  So... you with me?  Want to jump in, see what happens?  All you have to do is keep reading...


June 22, 2012

DOING IT RIGHT
Isaiah 58: 1-10

I love this passage in the Bible.  Why?  Because it says so much about the church, and what the church should be doing, and what the church can see as a result of doing what the church should be doing.  Clear as mud?  Well, let me put it this way:

I used to walk by the public library every morning on the way to work, before I became a pastor.  I often had my coffee and pastry in one hand, my case in the other, and I was wearing my suit and dress shoes.  I worked downtown, and so passed by many people who lived on the streets.  Every day I passed by this one man, who was always on the steps of the library, shopping cart laden with garbage bags full of bottles, wearing dirty clothes, and looking like he hadn't bathed in weeks (which may have been true!).  Every day I walked by him - every day I had a God-given opportunity, a 'divine appointment' if you will, and I did nothing about it except walk by... It's not like I didn't see the need, I just didn't want to do anything about it.

The Church - God's people, believers - are supposed to do something.  What we often THINK we should be doing is gathering together, worshipping and singing together, eating together, etc. - and this is all good.  But what does God have to say about this?

Isaiah 58: 6,7,9,10
Free those who are wrongly imprisoned; lighten the burden of those who work for you.  Let the oppressed go free, and remove the chains that bind people.  Share your food with the hungry, and give shelter to the homeless.  Give clothes to those who need them, and don't hide from relatives who need your help...  Remove the heavy yoke of oppression.  Stop pointing your finger and spreading vicious rumours!  Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble.

Wow, THIS is what the Church is supposed to be doing?  Oh yea... big time!  Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with meeting, and worshipping, and eating together, but it's not what God REALLY wants us to do as His Church.  And, if the Church (read: US!) does what God REALLY wants us to do, then what?

Vs. 10
Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon.

One pastor remarks:

Now, I must tell you - I am very confused when I look at the state of the church today, for it seems that so many have forgotten this central message.  Indeed, I am amazed when we, in the contemporary church, put so much emphasis on liturgical expression - our worship services, our music, our communal public prayer - and so little time on the things which God clearly says honour Him, reaching beyond our sanctuaries and into the world with compassionate and caring love.

Ask yourself these questions...
  • Is there something I can do today, to make life a bit easier for someone?
  • Is there someone I know who doesn't know about the love of Jesus?  How might I share about this with him/her?
  • Is there something my church can do to fill the need of someone today?
WHEN we do what God REALLY wants us to do, the light of our love will shine in the lives of those we help and serve.  I mean, seriously, isn't this awesome!  It's all about getting out there - getting out of our pews, our comfort zones perhaps - and loving and caring for and sharing with and giving to, everyone we encounter.  Can you think of a better way to show God's love to people who don't know God's love than to be there for them, just because...  
I'm thinkin' that's called DOING IT RIGHT!

PRAYER

God, help us to recognize the need all around us, and then do whatever we are able to do to fill the need.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment